Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nelly Responds…

One thing that I never understood with many artists is that an artist getting signed to a major is a business relationship but it is dominated by the label. The label looks only at numbers at BDS, Mediabase, Soundscan, etc. and whoever produces gets favortism. An artist can dictate how a label will maneuver budgets. During my tenure at MCA I learned that labels will sign a gang of artists and these non selling artist will support the selling artists, budgets get shifted all the time.

But back to the beginning. If I was signed to a major and get an advance or made a sh!tload of money, I would invest my own money in my own promotions team, my own marketing. Yes there are some restrictions but you can hire your own radio person to make sure you record will produce #’s so that the label will pick it up.

Unfortunately, many artists do NOT want to spend their own money on things like that. They wait for the label to do it. If you are serious about yours then I won’t put my destiny in someone elses hand sorry


This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read our FAQ page at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php
Five Filters featured article: Beyond Hiroshima - The Non-Reporting of Falluja's Cancer Catastrophe.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment